We’ve missed out on the post of keypad since we got lots of jobs to do lately. It’s finally here now. This article is about to guide you on how to select a suitable keypad promptly. Please note that examples are all based on stainless steel keypad.
1. Write down the symbols you need
First, it will be very helpful if you could draw out/write down the characters that you need. What we call it layout or label. For example, if it needed to be with numbers(0-9, *, #), Esc, PgUp, PgDn, Enter, which means it at least needs to be with 16 keys.
2. Choose a keypad with the right/proper keys
Standard keypads in the market have different kinds of options with key numbers such as 3*4(12 keys), 4*4 (16 keys), 7*4(28 keys), 10*4(40 keys), etc. So, the best way to choose a keypad that closes to the key numbers that you need. Still, for example 1 above, we can choose the keys of 4*4(16keys). “Would it be a problem if it has blank key?” Not at all. For example, you only need 13 keys. Well, you can still design the rest blank keys or just keep them blank (Not a big problem, right?)
3. Choose the right dimensions
It’s important to know if the standard dimensions fit or not. Simply let us know your cutout cabinet, we will advise you the most suitable keypad. If happens to be without the suitable one, we will find out to see how to customize the panel for the best fit.
4. Mounting solutions
This is not complicate – panel mount solution(from top panel mount or rear panel mount); Desktop version which can be stand-alone; Wall mount version with holes on the back to be installed on the wall. This option is based on your application and requirement.
5. Illumination or not?
This depends on your requirements and application as well. If the keypad has to be worked in a dim working environment, then a keypad with a backlight will be great to do its job. No headache of finding the keys in dark. 🙂 The most popular backlight color is: blue, white, green, and red, just to name a few. Someone choose yellow too.
6. IP Grade
Normally, our keypads are designed based on industrial-grade IP65, PCB is protected by a thin silicone sheet that can prevent daily splash, dust, etc. Applications like indoor or outdoor with shelter. However, if the keypad will be displayed outdoor (without shelter), disposed under the weather and unsupervised, higher waterproof protection is a MUST. In our portfolio, you can choose IP68 waterproof keypad which we put in a testing container with water like “ages”, and it still works great. See the link here to check the keypad as well as the testing video: https://bit.ly/332HHRr
7. Some other suggestions
- 7.1 Beeper: When you press the key, it beeps. Cancel it if it is not needed(tell us before production);
- 7.2 Continues output: Press key “1” you get “1”. Hold (keep) pressing key “1”, you got “1111111111111111…”
- 7.3 Stainless steel material: SUS#304 stainless steel is used for a variety of industrial applications such as food handling and processing equipment, screws, machinery parts, Utensils, and car headers, etc. We suggest using 316L provides greater corrosion resistance than 304. Especially near ashore. Wikipedia is a good way to know more 🙂
- 7.4 Integrate with other elements: Card reader(NFR), clock display. Just name it and we will work on it.
- 7.5 Cable length: It’s obvious, you can choose a longer length or shorter length upon requests.
These are only the basic specifications for selecting a keypad. We hope that all of you can find a desirable keypad that fits your application the most. If you have any other questions or requests, feel free to contact Mate’s sales team for further advice. You got nothing to lose and we promise you worth it.
MATE SALES TEAM